In terms of smell, nothing is specifically provided by law. You don't need. Advice.
Ah, summer and its barbecue between friends... A pleasure, except when the famous grilled meats are prepared to the neighbor, and the oily smoke of his bbq grill is directly at you by the wind... When the odors emitted by the neighbourhood becomes unbearable, it is possible to act, on the basis of a principle developed by the courts according to which no person shall cause to others a disorder abnormal neighbourhood. Also the judges determine on a case-by-case basis if such or such discomfort is a disorder normal or abnormal neighbourhood in particular taking into account the circumstances of the time (night and day), place (rural or urban, residential area or industrial) and the anteriority of the disorder. There is no need to show fault of the neighbor, it is enough to prove your prejudice. Make sure to keep some evidence (affidavits, findings of a bailiff, photos...). Before declaring the war legal, try first of all to resolve your dispute amicably (dialog, conciliator...).
READ ALSO >> What are the steps to solve a problem with your neighborhood ?
If you decide to engage a legal action, it will be necessary to submit to the sovereign appreciation of the judge and accept the hazard. The magistrates will determine if the odour nuisance of which you are a victim are acceptable or, on the contrary, abnormal. In other words, is the inconvenience that you are experiencing is an inconvenience that it is necessary to admit, or a disorder that you can demand that he stop ? The answer is not always obvious. Nevertheless, regardless of the location of the nuisance (in the city or in the countryside), it should remain bearable. If the odors are pestilential and lead to not being able to use your patio for example, it is almost certainly a disorder abnormal neighbourhood.Your support is essential. Subscribe for $ 1 support Us
They won the case... or not
• It has been deemed that strong odors and the presence of flies due to the proximity of a pony were disturbances exceeding the normal inconveniences of neighbourhood. In this case, the owner of the pony has been sentenced to move away from the animal which stood five metres from the neighbour's house (Cass. 2nd civ. January 14, 1999, n°97-10678). In a similar case, the judges have also chosen the disorder abnormal neighbourhood in rural areas. The horses and ponies at the origin of disorders of olfactory were within four metres of a dwelling. However, the owner of the equines rented a hangar for agricultural use and the adjacent, to the origin of the legal action, had she even owned a donkey (Cass. 2nd civ. 11 November 2014 n°13-23049).
READ ALSO >> how did you make the right burn in your garden ?
• Normally, the fact that the person causing the nuisance is installed in front of you to prevent you from acting on the basis of the nuisance. The reasoning is the following : newcomers were aware prior to install of the presence of such or such activity and, therefore, of the nuisance, including odours, as it could lead. However, the courts have provided that a breeder of sheep could not invoke the precedence of his occupation if his or her activity, although she has not changed in nature, is developed, the nuisance being so new. In this case, it was past of a small flock of nearly 300 sheep. He was sentenced to perform the work necessary to ensure that his livestock be located no less than 50 meters from the house of the neighbors. By the way, its animals must now come out of the west side of the barn to cause less upset (Cass. 3rd civ. 11 June 2014 n°12-28315).
• unlike the judges, who were moved on two occasions on the premises, decided that the odour nuisance from the two barns, however, implemented after the neighbors, were not excessive. The area was rural, agricultural, and odors occur irregularly, unpredictably, during a variable period of time and as a function of meteorological data. According to the court, the nuisance were, therefore, not the threshold beyond which the disadvantages of the neighbourhood, determined to be excessive, give rise to a right to compensation (Cass. 2nd civ. 19 march 97 n°95-15922).
• likewise, you do can not, in principle, complain about a neighbor fond of barbecue that you enfumerait with its smells of sardines (except to prove an excessive use or damage). According to the judges, the use of a barbecue may not be the cause of a disorder, abnormal neighbourhood (judgment of the court of appeal of Caen, france, 10 march 1994). The noise is episodic, because of the occasional use of the device, and depend on random elements, the direction of the wind.
READ ALSO >> top 6 neighbour disputes
• In another case, it was a question of cooking odours from a restaurant located on the ground floor of a building. The odours perceptible to the floor due to the poor development of the local filters of the hood to be inadequate and poorly maintained, ventilation is made in the opposite direction) that are associated with noise (due to the night operations of the restaurant and the noise of the extractor and compressor) have resulted in the conviction of a conservator for disorder anomalous neighbourhood (Cass., 3rd civ. 11 June 1997 n°95-10152).
• The supreme Court has also recalled that even if the professional meets the regulatory he may be sentenced for disorder abnormal neighbourhood. A workshop of painting of automobiles has been because of the smells of oil and the noise associated with its activities. However, the mechanic had obtained the necessary administrative permissions for its installation. The judges have taken into account special circumstances. They have, for example, found that professional was installed in an urban area and that it was only the industrial facilities in this residential area (Cass., 3rd civ. 22 may 1997 n°93-20957).
Read our complete fileIsland of Oléron : the justice authorizes the cock Maurice to continue to sing Dax : he assigns his neighbor to court because of the noise of the ducks Trees, plantations... station to overflow at the neighbor
• Finally, it is possible to turn to the courts to obtain recognition of a disorder abnormal neighbourhood because of the presence on his land of a septic tank, connected to the neighbouring property. In this case, the sanitation system, which was installed without title easement, resulted in nuisance odors and the fragrance is poured in the garden (Cass., 3rd civ. October 5, 2017 n°16-21715).