Post a Comment Print Share on Facebook
Featured Feijóo Pedro Sánchez Japón Estados Unidos Ione Belarra

The UN Humanitarian Affairs chief insists on the need for a humanitarian ceasefire after the truce

MADRID, 2 Dic.

- 6 reads.

The UN Humanitarian Affairs chief insists on the need for a humanitarian ceasefire after the truce


The head of Humanitarian Affairs of the UN, Martin Griffiths, insisted this Friday on the need to end the clashes between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip and described the situation of civilians in the region as "unacceptable" after the end of the truce that began on November 24.

Griffiths stressed that, "almost two months after (the start of) the fighting, the children, women and men of Gaza are terrified", "they have nowhere safe to go" and have "very little to survive on." .

"They live surrounded by disease, destruction and death. This is unacceptable," condemned the United Nations representative, who has once again insisted on the need for a humanitarian ceasefire, to "maintain - and take advantage of - the progress in the provision of aid", protect "civilians and the infrastructure on which they depend to sustain life", release the remaining hostages "immediately and unconditionally".

In this sense, Griffiths has highlighted that the truce in force during the last week "has offered an idea of ​​what can happen when the guns fall silent" and that, on the contrary, "the current situation in Khan Yunis is a shocking reminder of what What happens when they don't?

"Over the past seven days, hostages have been released, families have been reunited, and more patients have received medical attention. The volume of aid to and through Gaza has increased. And while it has barely scratched the surface of what people needs, has allowed aid agencies to provide some basic supplies, reach areas that have been isolated for weeks and offer some respite to deeply traumatized families", celebrated the head of Humanitarian Affairs of the United Nations.

However, he lamented, "hopes have faded" while, "in a matter of hours, dozens of people have been killed and injured" this Friday after the end of the temporary ceasefire between the parties.

The truce, agreed with the mediation of Qatar and Egypt, came into force on November 24 with a duration of four days, although it was extended twice for a total of three more days. On this occasion, the parties have failed to agree on a new extension, while Israel has rejected calls for a ceasefire.

Hamas assaulted southern Israel on October 7, leaving 1,200 Israelis dead and 240 hostages, so Israel began an air and ground offensive against the Gaza Strip that has already killed more than 15,000 Palestinians. In the West Bank, attacks by the Israeli Army and settlers have killed more than 230 people.